The 2023 Health Humanities Consortium Conference will be held in Cleveland in the Sheila and Eric Samson Pavilion which is part of Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic’s Health Education Campus, located at 9501 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH 44106.
The closest airport is the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, approximately 16 miles from the Health Education Campus.
We had blocks of rooms reserved at the following two hotels, but those blocks have now expired.
Residence Inn Cleveland University Circle/Medical Center 1914 East 101st Street Cleveland, Ohio 44106
This hotel is within walking distance of the Health Education Campus and includes free breakfast. Other nearby food options are limited.
Courtyard Cleveland University Circle 2021 Cornell Road Cleveland, Ohio 44106
This hotel is in the heart of University Circle, within walking distance of the Dittrick Medical History Center, the Cleveland Museum of Art, and many restaurants. The hotel does not offer free breakfast. Visitors will need to use the free hotel shuttle (2 mile radius), or other campus transportation, to travel to the Health Education Campus. Otherwise, it is a 1-mile walk from the Courtyard to the Health Education Campus.
Cleveland is a city with a lot of gems for exploration. From the Rock Hall, to the second ranked Art Museum in the country, to a Metroparks system that was named best in the U.S. last year - there's something for everyone! Check out the list below!
Museums in University Circle and beyond:
Take a trip back in time at the Cleveland Museum of Natural history or take a peek into Cleveland’s history at the Cleveland History Center and enjoy a ride on the carousel from the expired Euclid Beach Park
Delight in the breathtaking colors and aromas of floral artistry at the Cleveland Botanical Garden
See what you can discover at the Great Lakes Science Center, including an IMAX theater and the NASA Glenn Visitor Center
Revel in the stories and artifacts of your favorite musicians at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Check out a Cleveland favorite- the Christmas Story House and Museum!
Popular Areas to eat, drink, and socialize (**NOTE: these areas will be PACKED with inebriates on St. Patrick’s Day- Friday, March 17):
- Ohio City, West 25th
- Lee Rd. and Cedar
- East 4th, the Flats (downtown)
- Coventry, Cleveland Heights
- Madison Ave and Detroit in Lakewood
- Come belt it out at Karaoke Thursdays (starting at 9!) at The Jolly Scholar, a restaurant and brewery in the Thwing building at Case Western
- As if academia wasn’t enough of a gamble, press your luck at Jack Casino
- Make arrangements to see a show at Playhouse Square , comedy at The improv or Hilarities, or the renowned Cleveland Orchestra at the stunning Severance Hall.
- Catch some local live music at the Grog Shop, Mahall’s, or the Foundry
- Come sail away on Lake Erie aboard the Good Time III or Nautica Queen
- Third Fridays at 78th Street Studios - What was once an automotive factory is now an incubator for local designers and is known as the largest art and design complex in Northeast Ohio. Every third Friday of the month, it opens up all four floors of art galleries from 5-9pm for this popular event, featuring authentic art, music, and cuisine from local vendors.
- Last, but not least, if the weather is behaving, take a walk in one of our beautiful Metroparks.
- If you have other particular interests and are wondering what's in the area, please ask us! Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Places to eat in and around University Circle:
- Tacologist https://tacologist.net/
- Great Happy Hour menu from 2-6pm Mon-Fr
- Kenko Sushi and Teriyaki https://kenko-usa.com/
- Build your own sushi roll or bowl, also great bubble tea
- Build the Pho https://www.buildthephocle.com/
- Customized authentic Vietnamese pho and main dishes
- The Fairmount https://www.thefairmount.net/
- Slightly outside of University Circle, up the hill in Cedar-Fairmount
- Upscale pub plates with a fantastic cocktail bar
Transportation options in University Circle:
Campus shuttles- routes and schedules:
Parking (JJ Garage, etc.)
- Visitor parking is available in the JJ Parking Garage (1956 E. 93rd St., Cleveland, OH 44106).
- To access the Health Education Campus, park in the JJ Parking Garage and follow signs to the JJ Office Building to exit the garage. Take the elevator (or stairs) to the first floor and cross East 93rd Street to enter the Health Education Campus.
While Cleveland feels like a small town, keep in mind that it is still a “big” city. ALWAYS walk in groups and in well-lit, populated areas.
Additional tips from the CWRU Police Department:
- Avoid using cell phones or other technology while walking and remain aware of your surroundings.
- See something, say something. Report any suspicious behavior to CWRU Police by calling 216.368.3331.
- If you feel threatened or uncomfortable in regards to your safety, call CWRU Police at 216.368.3333. If a situation is making you nervous, don't be afraid to alter your route, duck into a store or call for help.